A good coach doesn't have to be an expert, but a good coach is almost always a good learner. Having some experience with lacrosse as a player or spectator, or having coaching experience with another sport, is always helpful, but it isn't a requirement. In fact Paradigm Sports, a coaching support group from Delta, BC, lists the following top 10 characteristics of great coaches: Caring, Respect, Fun, Passion, Communication, Positive, Patient, Encouraging, Fair, Listens.
We encourage moms and dads to coach! It is often parents who understand a particular age group better than anyone and are able to communicate and motivate at an age-appropriate groups to start their journey in lacrosse. (and as well, siblings, grandparents and extended family). Parent coaching is how most lacrosse coaches get their start.
The particular requirements for coaching in City League:
- Criminal Reference Check. This automate process is a police check for the vulnerable sector which is reimbursed by the club.
- You can complete this check online if you meet the criteria to do so.
- Download the CRC - Vulnerable Sector Check letter on Forms and Policies page.
- By using our volunteer letter, the cost is only $20 which will be reimbursed to you at the end of the season when you provide a receipt.
- When we have our coaches clinic, please make every effort to attend. We will cover the basics in class and put the theory to practice on the floor. No cost for participants.
- Participate in the planning and feedback mechanism - there is minimal paperwork to do, but needs to be done.
Of course, for the keen learner, we have provided you with a valuable resource page with links to the stuff that will get you started in the right direction.